Saturday, March 17, 2012

Chicken Pecan Salad

Print Friendly and PDF
I love a good chicken salad sandwich.  When I lived in Arizona my favorite lunch spot was Paradise Bakery for their Chicken Walnut Salad on molasses bread.  Sadly, they aren't in Washington and they said (in an email reply to my begging they come here) there will be no stores here.  So, I had to find my very own recipe.  I didn't measure anything; I'll attempt to give you an idea of how much I used... but make it to your own taste.  Here goes:
  • About 2 cups shredded chicken (I buy a whole rotisserie bird from Costco and shred it)
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup mayo
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 2-3 ribs celery, diced
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberry
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup apple, chopped (I prefer skin on)
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup pecan, chopped (or walnut)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
This goes way back to when I was a kid, we would lightly toast bread for tuna sandwiches.  I never liked tuna, I had to put so much mayo and 'stuff' in it to drown out the taste.  Anyway... to build my sandwich, I (you probably already guessed it) lightly toast my whole grain bread, add a small amount of mayo and mustard, a slice of havarti and 3-5 tablespoons of salad.  On rare occasion, I'll add a slice or two of bacon.  Delish!

~ Enjoy ~

No comments:

Post a Comment