Saturday, March 3, 2012

'Strawberry Shortcake' - for breakfast

Print Friendly and PDF
You're probably thinking, who wants strawberry shortcake for breakfast?  I do!  Oatmeal that is.  I love having old fashioned oatmeal for breakfast, but I need to come up with ways to keep it creative.  At my last visit to Costco they had some really good lookin' strawberries... being February/March I was more than ready for fresh fruit.  There is no actual cake, or shortcake, in this recipe - that's the oatmeal.  Give this a try and let me know what you think!

3/4 cup water
3/4 cup milk
dash salt
3/4 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1 cup fresh chopped (unsweetened) strawberries, divided
1/4 cup whipping cream, unsweetened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
dash cinnamon
2 teaspoons agave nectar (more or less to taste)

In a small pot over medium-high heat add the water, milk and salt.  While boiling, whip the cream until stiff, set aside.  Let water/milk just come to a boil, then add the oatmeal, vanilla, cinnamon and 1/2 cup strawberries.  Reduce heat to medium and cook about 5 minutes (or until desired thickness), stirring frequently.  Pour out to a bowl and let cool slightly, about 2-3 minutes.  This is when I get my coffee ready.  Fold in 1-2 tablespoons of the whipped cream, top with remaining strawberries and agave nectar. 

~ Enjoy ~

1 comment: