Monday, September 17, 2012

Homemade pillowcases!

Print Friendly and PDF
Homemade pillowcase using the sausage roll method
This past weekend I dedicated my time to working on block 2 of the Merry Merry Snowman block of the month.  I'm so behind on them.  Last night I finished all the applique and only have the hand embroidery work to do on it.  So, today when I got home from work and had a little time to play in my sewing room, I decided to try a custom pillowcase.

Homemade pillowcase using the sausage roll method eliminates exposed seams
If I'd known how easy and quick it was, I would have made 'sew' many of them by now.  A few weeks ago I read about the 1 million pillowcase challenge that All People Quilt is sponsoring and put it on my to-do list.  A few internet searches and a YouTube tutorial and I was on my way.  Rather than type out all the directions on how to make a pillowcase with no exposed seams, I'll just link you to the video I used.
 
Custom pillowcase using the sausage roll method.Give it a try yourself, and drop some pillowcases off at a participating shop to donate to the pillowcase challenge. I know I'll be making more!!

Also - these make great gifts for kids or family members in the hospital, care homes, hospice, etc.  A great idea I heard in one of the videos I watched is to make a pillowcase that matches a quilt you are giving away and then use the pillowcase as 'giftwrap' for the quilt.  'Sew' many ideas to use these....

~ Enjoy ~

** I've added an update


No comments:

Post a Comment