Saturday, September 22, 2012

Review of black bean burgers

Print Friendly and PDF
Looking for meatless alternatives to meals is new to me.  Not that I'm going vegetarian, but goodness, having meat two times per day can get a bit much.  And ok, just something I'll touch on, I'm getting so picky about meat that most prepared, purchased meat foods gross me out.  I need to purchase the raw meat and prep it myself. 

Additionally, I want some healthy lunch alternatives.  I used to eat Lean Cuisine meals, but I'm getting tired of the few meat-free options, and I have to wonder if eating food microwaved in a plastic tray everyday is healthy.  Just about every time I go to Costco I linger in the frozen food aisle looking at the Morningstar Farms Chipotle Black Bean Burgers and think I should try them.  But, that's a big box of burgers if I'm not a fan.  I LOVE black beans, but chipotle is a flavor that can easily be overdone.  Last night, I finally jumped.  I bought the big box. 

The first time I cooked them, I decided to follow the recommended cooking directions, which is to bake.  With three minutes left on the timer, I added some colby jack cheese.  Just in case it wasn't great - cheese makes everything taste better!  :)  I prepped a bun with mayo/mustard, and with both trepidation and excitement I served my first black bean burger for lunch. 

It was GOOD!  It was really good.  It had a nice crispness on the outside edges and a wonderful soft inside.  It had a delicious black bean flavor, with a hint of chipotle - just the right amount.  It's also made with corn and brown rice.  It comes in at only 7 grams of fat and 210 calories.  Of those 7 grams of fat, one is saturated.  The other six are monounsaturated and polyunsaturated - which are both 'good fats'! 

Result: these are a winner! 

~ Enjoy ~

No comments:

Post a Comment