While I normally like to do this with homemade pasta - tonight was all about quick, and stuff I already have available. Here is the start:
Boil whole wheat pasta to al dente in salted water (enough for 2 dinner sized portions)
- warm about 1/8 - 1/4 cup light olive oil with approx 1/8tsp - 1/2tsp crushed red pepper and 3 cloves chopped fresh garlic. When it's warm and you can smell the fragrance of garlic, turn off heat and let sit;
- chop olives and red pepper (I use Mezzetta Napa Valley Bistro), put into large mixing bowl;
- grate 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, set aside;
- Gently toast 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Add fresh chopped basil or basil pesto (fresh or jarred), omit Italian seasoning from above;
- Add crumbled goat cheese (may need to use a bit of pasta water so it doesn't get sticky and allows the goat cheese to become slightly creamy as it melts);
- Top with sliced pepperocini from the Mezzetta jar.
Notes: To toast pine nuts, place in skillet over low heat and stir every few minutes so they don't burn.
Oh, and I did enjoy the field trip - a lot - but I was tired and not in the mood to make a big or complicated meal. :)
Feel free to share your ideas for variations... and if you try this, come back and let me know how you liked it!