Saturday, September 22, 2012

Update: Homemade Pillowcases

Print Friendly and PDF
I know it's only been, what, a week since my pillowcase post, but I have an update.  First of all - I realized I did my french seam wrong.  I watched the tutorial, but not all the way to the end.  I saw her put the fabric right sides together ... and those of you that have made french seams probably already know what I did wrong.  The exterior of the case had a 5/8" wide strip that should have been on the inside of the pillowcase!  So, to anyone doing a french seam for the first time, start with wrong sides together, sew a 1/4" seam, turn inside out so right sides are together, press and then stitch a 1/2" - 5/8" seam.  Turn inside out again and you will have hidden seams.

Custom pillowcase using the sausage roll method
Next... this sausage roll method has a really nice accent strip between the pillowcase body and cuff.  I discovered upon washing that this accent piece can fold over on itself, and you don't want to donate a pillowcase to a foster child or senior citizen that they will have to press after washing.  I'd recommend running a top stitch over the bottom end of the accent piece so it stays flat.

Custom pillowcase using the sausage roll methodI made another pillowcase out of some scrap fabric, and because of that first failed french seam, I just overcasted the seam on this one.  It worked so well, I took out the french seam on the first and did an overcasting stitch on the first pillowcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment